Saturday, June 9, 2012

Induction into the 305

After spending 10 days in Miami, Florida, I know two things to be true.
1. Sometimes "Winging it" is the only way to accomplish things.
2.  Southern hospitality is really only in the south.

Two Tuesdays ago, I left Texas on a plane headed to Florida. I did not have anyone waiting for me at 1am when I arrived at the FLL airport nor did I have any lodging arrangements. I didn't even fly into the city I needed to be in. My only goal was to simply arrive in Florida. Even though this sounds like an a-type personality's worst nightmare, I was really calm about the entire situation. I was not concerned or worried at all, although that was not the case for my close friends and dear mother. She was quite the opposite of calm. However, much to her dismay, I continued on my unknown and unplanned journey; I figured it would all unfold and work out, somehow.

I arrived at the airport and requested a shuttle to take me to Miami, for this was the cheapest transportation option available at 1:30am. A taxi would have cost me $80 and a fancy sedan would have cost me close to $120. After thirty minutes of waiting, and making friends with the dispatcher, a sedan pulls up and he tells me to get in. Before I could protest that I would absolutely not pay the extra money, he said that he would give it to me for the price of the shuttle. I was in the sedan before he could change his mind. Win.

Not only did I get a ride to Miami in style, my sedan driver acted as a mini tour guide giving me the native ins and outs of the city. It was great! After exploring the beautiful Miami at night, I arrived at the hotel. Now, this was the hotel I was supposed to stay at, only the hotel didn't know that. It was my job to convince them of this small but necessary truth. Upon entering, I prepared myself for the serious yet stern conversation that I anticipated having with the concierge. It must have been my night. That or 2 am is the prime time of the day that my appearance is at it's best, either way the conversation was far from stern. I made friends with the front desk easily and they gave me the keys to the hotel room, no problem. "They'll settle it in the morning!" he said. My room was awesome. I had it all to myself and the balcony overlooked the scenic pool surrounded by palm trees. Double Win.

The rest of the week seemed to follow in this fashion. I passed both teaching certification exams, was the first out of 181 teachers to register, moved into the dorms first, moved out of the dorms first, and secured housing for the year when I return after institute- All without really planning on it. I met some really fun people with big personalities that will be my colleagues and tfa family for the next two years.

I'm now at the airport heading to institute, which I hear is like teacher boot camp. I'm interested to see how the next 5 weeks will play out.

Until next time,

RTIII

No comments:

Post a Comment